Some Boer War Mentions in Despatches

Topics about the Regiment during the 2nd Boer War.

Some Boer War Mentions in Despatches

Postby plbramham » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Some Boer War Mentions in Despatches:

SIR R BULLER'S RECOMMENDATIONS March 30 1900
General Sir B Buller, in his despatch, March 30, 1900, recommends the following warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men for the Medal for Distinguished Conduct in the Field:-
Border Regiment (1st Battalion)-Sergeant Sparke, Lance Sergeant Munro; on December 15, at Colenso, displayed great gallantry and excellent management of their men under severe fire. Sergeant Instructor of Musk. Alien; when officer of Maxim was shot took charge and worked gun to end of day with remarkable address.
Recommended for consideration by General Buller, or who have been brought to his notice for gallant or meritorious services:-
Border Regiment (1st Battalion)-Colonel J H E Hinde; Majors J S Pelly, R Heygate; Captain J Probyn; Lieutenant and Adjutant C L McNab.
LORD KITCHENER'S MENTIONS, March 8th, 1901.
From Lord Kitchener's despatch, March 8th, 1901; the promotions of NCO's and men are by the Commander-in-Chief: - Border Regiment (1st Battalion)-Sergeant W Bartholomew
LORD KITCHENER'S MENTIONS, July 28, 1901.
Brought to notice by Lord Kitchener in his despatch of July 28, 1901:-
Border Regiment (1st Battalion)-Lance Corporal A Nicholas (promoted Sergeant); near Kaffir Spruit, May 13, volunteered to carry message to guns under very heavy fire, through part of which he had to go on foot.
LORD ROBERTS' MENTIONS, September 4, 1901.
Lord Roberts' despatch, dated London, September 4, is in continuation of that of April 2, and contains a further list of Regulars, Militia, Yeomanry, and Volunteers, together with a few Irregulars and Civilians, who have rendered special and meritorious service: -
Border Regiment-Lieutenant Colonel G H Ovens; Majors J S Pelly, H S Mayhew; Captains J E S Probyn, P J Bellamy, C D Vaughan, E G Sinclair-MacLagan; Lieutenants W L Alien, E H H Lees, G H N Jackson; 2nd Lieutenant G H Harrison; Quartermaster Sergeant A Harper; Colour Sergeants F W Mitchell, F Lambeth, E O'B White, B B Roberson, J McGhie, G Bailey; Sergeants W G Bartholomew, H Wiltshire, R Pearson; Lance Corporal R W Tel-ford; Privates C B Jack, T Watson, E J Lewis, J Fisher, H Simmonds.
.LORD KITCHENER'S MENTIONS June 1, 1902.
Border Regiment (13th Mounted Infantry)-Captain T Bowley (promoted Sergeant); for good service in action at Blaaukopje, March 29, and on other occasions. [Marker p107/2]
LORD KITCHENER'S FINAL DESPATCH June 23, 1902.
Border Regiment-Major H S Mayhew; Lieutenants W L Alien, S H F Muriel; Sergeant E McCarthy; Privates Dunn, G Morris

I spotted these entries on the the angloboerwar website. I’ve only had a quick look and I'm sure I'll have missed some, so to take a look for yourselves click:
http://www.angloboerwar.com/other-infor ... tches-army

Incidentally the angloboerwar website is well worth a look: http://angloboerwar.com/ Even if your interest is primarily The First World War, you will spot some names (especially 1st battalion officers), which will be of interest.
Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Re: Some Boer War Mentions in Despatches

Postby mrdeacon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Excellent once again Paul, it is one campaign that i am slowly getting to grips with so cheers for this.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Paul,

Thanks for sharing this, really interesting post.

Kind regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby hussar1000 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 am

Interesting post, thank you. Got all excited when I saw McGhie.......then realised the group I have is to McGhee and he isn't a Col. Sgt!!
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to The Boer War