Kendal post war parade

Topics about the Regiment during the 2nd Boer War.

Kendal post war parade

Postby plbramham » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Just a couple of photos I have recently obtained of The Border Regiment at a parade to/from Kendal parish church at the end of the conflict,
Paul
Attachments
Sa procession.jpg
Carriages S A. War.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: Kendal post war parade

Postby CockneyTone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Paul,
Great shots, thank you for sharing them,
Kind regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Great photos Paul.

A big turnout in the top photo. I like the chappy sitting on the roof to get a better view of the parade. Not being from the area, what is the road they are parading on? I'd like to see a modern day image of the same place via a google search.

Thanks.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:30 am

That's Highgate Kendal, Guess several hundred yards back well out of shot would be immediately to the left Lowther Street and the Town Hall, To anyone who has a vague knowledge of the town you are looking down the main street from the town hall towards the parish church end of town .I guess pretty much outside the entrance to "The Brewery Arts Centre" car park if anyone knows that? I strongly suspect that they were marching back from the church (which has a Border Regiment chapel and
55th "Westmoreland Regiment Crimea memorial) Plus the original "China" dragon standard- as depicted in the centre of the regimental badge.
That memorial is rather "hidden" but I have suggested it should be relocated to a more prominent position - It appears my suggestion is being acted on by the vicar! I have also been successful in getting WW2 plaques re-erected in the town hall.
The second photo is outside the church gates on Kirkland - almost unchanged today
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks Paul. A search on google maps has helped. I have had a look at present day images and can place myself there now. Not coming from the area (although I have visited several times) I am unfamiliar with many of the old photos I see and find it difficult to see where they are today.

I see what you mean about the second photo, not much has changed in all those years.

I particularly enjoy seeing "then and now" photo combinations.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to The Boer War