Help in Sourcing Boer War Service Records

Topics about the Regiment during the 2nd Boer War.

Re: Help in Sourcing Boer War Service Records

Postby hussar1000 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:21 am

I quick look at the Border Regiment medal roll for South Africa shows a Pte 1080 M Kelly, 1st Bn who received the Queens South Africa medal with clasps Transvaal, Orange Free State and Natal and also the Kings South Africa medal.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Jondi44 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am

Hello hussar1000,

Many thanks for your information. I am currently attempting to work my way through that which I have and hopefully decorations will show up in this. If I fail to find it in there I shall post back for more information on your source.

Thanks again.
Jondi44
Private
Private

Postby plbramham » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:33 pm

1080 is a very low early service number -late 1880s/ early 1890s?
There must be records, Good luck with search,
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby Jondi44 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:58 pm

I have a problem with the owner of that service number as indications are that he became a Chelsea Pensioner. The names are the same (Maurice Kelly) as is the place of birth (Chatham) and birth date (1867) but I wonder if it is possible that two men with the same name and place of birth could be in the same Regiment at the same time especially as I have his death certificate and know he was living with my grandmother at the time of his death???
Jondi44
Private
Private

Postby plbramham » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:14 pm

I can quickly reply, I believe until a certain date ( forget when, I actually think 1920s) all regiments issued their "own numbers" Thus meant you could be soldier " no 1000 Cheshire Regiment , or "no 1000 Border Regiment - see what I mean?
Does cause confusion, Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby IanT » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Note the army service records aka Chelsea Pensioner records (actually discharge records) don't necessarily mean the man was resident in the Chelsea home. My gr gr grandfather has a similar record & he died at home here in Portsmouth.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby Jondi44 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 am

Many thanks for your replies.

I understand the potential for confusion with different Regiments and the same number. It's not impossible but reasonably unlikely that a person with the same name would have the same number. I shall need to look closer.

Interesting that it would seem that a Chelsea Pensioner doesn't need to be resident. This could explain the records if all those who were eligible to be Chelsea Pensioners (resident) had there records indicating this. Again I shall need to look closer.

Thanks again for your help.
Jondi44
Private
Private

Previous

Return to The Boer War