6th Bn binoculars

6th Bn binoculars

Postby plbramham » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 am

Hi,
I recently got myself a very practical birthday present – a pair of high quality, compact, robust, 8x magnification binoculars for just £20!
Not bad you might think, but then add to it that inscribed on the front is “6th Border Regt” and it becomes a useable collectible! The standard of construction is very tough – I suppose it had to be, but I somehow don’t think that the quality optics will be of German manufacture!
It guess it could have used at Gallipoli, but the whole item is coated in thick black paint, which I believe was for camouflage in the trenches of France where the 6th Bn moved to in Summer 1916, after spending six months in Egypt guarding the Suez Canal following their withdrawal from the Dardanelles.
Quite a nice artefact as, unlike a cap badge or shell case etc, it still has a useful purpose. I bet items like this were very popular in the 1920/30s with hunters (poachers?), & sportsmen, bird watchers etc. Paul.
Attachments
6th binocs 1.jpg
6th binocs close.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: 6th Bn binoculars

Postby kerchi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 pm

plbramham wrote:Hi,
I recently got myself a very practical birthday present – a pair of high quality, compact, robust, 8x magnification binoculars for just £20!

....and a darned good find. Did we miss your birthday? Hope you had a good day ;-)

An excellent bit of kit! I used to have a pair (I say used to because I have no idea if I have them any more, they could be at my parent's in a box in the loft somewhere) of a very similar pattern to these when I was a teenager but of course it didn't have the 6th Border Regt on them. They look in remarkably good condition though.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to 6th Battalion