Gallipoli war diary

Gallipoli war diary

Postby plbramham » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am

I’ve just discovered that you can obtain from The National Archives the 6th Border war diaries from 30th June 1915 when they sailed from Liverpool, throughout their Gallipoli campaign until 3rd Feb 1916 when they arrived in Egypt.
Note: this link also gives you a list of the other Border battalion diaries available online: - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... image1.y=9

The Catalogue reference for 6th Border at Gallipoli is: WO 95/4299
You have to buy the whole Mediterranean Expeditionary Force “package”, but as the full download is only £3.36, I don’t think that’s too bad.

Contents are (over 1000 pages in six PDFs!)
Title: G 11 DIVISION: 32 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters 1915 July - Dec. / 32 Infantry Brigade: 6 Battalion Yorkshire Regiment 1915 July - Dec. / 32 Infantry Brigade: 6 Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment 1915 July - Dec. / 32 Infantry Brigade: 8 Battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment) 1915 June - Dec. / 32 Infantry Brigade: 9 Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment 1915 July - Dec. / 33 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters 1915 June - Dec. / 33 Infantry Brigade: 6 Battalion Border Regiment 1915 June - 1916 Jan. / 33 Infantry Brigade: 7 Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment 1915 July - Dec. / 34 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters 1915 July - Dec. / 34 Infantry Brigade: 5 Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment 1915 July - Dec. / 34 Infantry Brigade: 8 Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers 1915 July - Nov. / 34 Infantry Brigade: 9 Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers 1915 June - 1916 Jan. / 34 Infantry Brigade: 11 Battalion Manchester Regiment 1915 July - 1916 Jan.

The files specifically relating to 6th Border are pages 130-155 of:
--bia-filer2.web.local-DODelFiles2-W0-95-4299-0-597pdf

However, there are mentions in the other files of 6th Borders and they give descriptions of actions in which the Borders were also involved (but obviously from their regiment’s perspective as it is their diaries). There are also several sketch maps and diagrams interspersed with the usual diary reports.

Being a PDF you can print individual or multiple combination pages in various formats ( I found two diary pages per A4 sheet is perfectly large enough to be legible). You’d be hard pushed to buy a book about Gallipoli with so much information for just £3.36!
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Re: Gallipoli war diary

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm

This is a long way from the days when a single month from any war diary cost £2.50 each. The £3.36 price is such a bargain for something so in depth. If I had some extra time and three extra sets of eyes and hands I'd like to transcribe the Border Regiment diaries for the new site I am working on (to eventually replace the wiki, which is taking me longer to set up than I thought) but, alas, these are miracles I cannot perform ;-)

I enjoyed reading about 1st and 6th Borders in the Gallipoli campaign when I was writing their histories from Wylly's book. Already have half the 1st Battalions war diary transcribed but don't have the 6th Battalion's at all.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm

kerchi wrote: Already have half the 1st Battalions war diary transcribed but don't have the 6th Battalion's at all.

Give me two or three weeks and I'll see what I can do for the 6th at Gallipoli, Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:04 pm

That would be excellent!

Thanks for the attachments in the email you sent the other day, just noticed it in my inbox. Very nice surprise :-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to 6th Battalion