6th August 1916 - 93 years ago today

6th August 1916 - 93 years ago today

Postby Paul Nixon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:06 am

Hello chapsCan anybody tell me please, what the 7th Borders were doing on this day in 1916?  Five other ranks died on this day and I've commemorated one of these men - Frank Rance - on my WW1 Remembrance blog: http://ww1remembrance.blogspot.com/Many thanksPaul
Visit my Army Service Numbers blog at: http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com

REMEMBERING

S/18321 Rfm John Frederick Nixon KiA 3rd October 1918 whilst serving with the 8th City of London Regt (Post Office Rifles).

And the men and women of Chailey, Sussex:

www.chailey1914-1918.net
Paul Nixon
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: 6th August 1916 - 93 years ago today

Postby spike » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 am

From Border Regt in the Great War:-
5th August 1916 - holding Delville Wood and made attack on 7th August 1916 4.30 p.m., in the wood. Attack failed due to difficult terrain and volume of enemy rifle and machine gun fire. After dark survivors had to crawl back to old front line. 9 killed 34 wounded 5 missing.

Both sides were attempting to retake lost ground/advance at this time and I suspect your men were killed resisting a German attack or in the shellfire that preceded the attack.
Spike
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Paul,I have recently transcribed from the above mentioned book for another member, the post of which can be seen here:[url=http://www.border-regiment-forum.com//viewtopic.php?t=41.msg2063#msg2063]http://www.border-regiment-forum.com//v ... 63#msg2063[/url]Had a look at your remembrance of Frank Rance, nicely done. Left a brief comment too.Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Paul Nixon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 pm

Spike and Chris, thanks for your responses, and Chris, thanks for your comment on my blog too.Paul
Visit my Army Service Numbers blog at: http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com

REMEMBERING

S/18321 Rfm John Frederick Nixon KiA 3rd October 1918 whilst serving with the 8th City of London Regt (Post Office Rifles).

And the men and women of Chailey, Sussex:

www.chailey1914-1918.net
Paul Nixon
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby harps » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:39 pm

A bit late admittedly but might be useful:
From the War Diary
4/8/1916 - Bttn relieved 1st Royal Berks in DELVILLE WOOD; Marched out by Coys/ owing to extraordinary difficulties - incomplete interconnected trenches; enemy artillery arctivity; unpassable state of WOOD, the relief was not complete and line taken over until 4.15am. Casualties 5 killed and 12 wounded.
5/8/1916 - Standing & ?listening parties sent out; it soon became obvious from [illegible] and from the activity of snipers that enemy was strongly established all round the northern edge of WOOD. Must have been there for considerable time previous to our taking over. We are [illegible] that we were in for 46 hours and our task is largely to strengthen the [illegible] existing line & support trenches. We dig a new trench between left & right sections in the WOOD at a place where gap of 250 yds existed. Owing to enemy activity this work has to be done chiefly at night. Casualties 5 killed and 13 wounded.
6/8/16 - Work and patrolling continued. Casualties - Killed 3; wounded 19.
harps
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Return to 7th Battalion