Thomas Scott MM

Thomas Scott MM

Postby asli71 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi I have recently just found out that my Great grandfather is a recipient of the MM won some time during the First World War.I am wondering if any of you have any idea of the circumstances surrounding this award, the medal card in the national archives obviously does not include anything, his name was Pvt Thomas Scott.

Any help much appreciated.
asli71
Private
Private

Re: Thomas Scott MM

Postby kerchi » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 pm

Welcome to the forum.I was wondering if you know of a date (even a rough idea) as this will help looking for information. I could have a look to find out what the battalion was up to at that time. Finding the circumstances of his MM will be difficult because I believe the citations were not originally published. There might be something in the Gazettes Online website but I had a quick look and didn't find anything relating to your Thomas Scott. The award was probably mentioned in the war diary (as I have severall MM's written in different war diaries) and this would be a good starting place. Some of the 7th Bn war diary is available for download from the National Archives website.

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby asli71 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:13 am

Unfortunately I have very little first hand info as even his own Children knew nothing about it until they found the medal after his death. As they where not Military people they just threw it in with the rest of his campaign medals where I found it last month and recognised it,What I have managed to find out from the archives,

20736 Pte T. W. Scott (Carlisle)
7th Btl Border Reg
Awarded in France
Date Gazetted 16.7.1918
Registered paper 68/121/548The gazette for the day carries the usual huge list with no specific detail, I have the war diary but I don't know how far to go back, I mean how long was usual between the action and the award being gazetted?Also is there a regimental history anywhere other than the war diary? There seems to be more and more popping up on Amazon and I was wondering if there is one for the Border Reg.
asli71
Private
Private

Postby CockneyTone » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Welcome to the Forum, have you tried making an enquiry with the Border Regiment Museum, I have found the Curator Mr Eastwood and his staff very helpul in the past! May be worth a telephone call.Good luck with your research.

Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:03 pm

As you have the war diary this is one of the better ways of confirming the MM, it doesn't necessarily give any other specific details relating to the action the individual was involved in though so don't expect lots of details. Sometimes is was down to who was actually writing the information, some officers were more descriptive in their writing than others, so while one officer might only write a brief account of an action etc., another could go into much greater detail. Regarding the MMs though, of the ones I have seen in war diaries of the Border Regiment, most of them were listed with only the title 'Awards' etc. with a list of names for MMs or DCMs etc. and no other information. With your question regarding how far to go back, this could be anything from three months to over a year. The honours were never published that quickly in the Times Supplement and so I would suggest going back up to a year previous to the Times listing.Regarding the regimental history, The Border Regiment in the Great War by Col. H.C. Wylly is the most recognised for the Great War period, Wylly bringing together a comprehensive text (but sometimes basic in places where little action happened) of all the Battalions involved but do bear in mind that he used the war diaries extensively to write the book so what you see in the war diaries that you have will corroborate what is in the book. He must have had other sources to aid his writing but what these were I do no know.I can look in this book for a general date to see what the 7th Battalion was doing if you like.Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to 7th Battalion