pvt thomas senior

pvt thomas senior

Postby tess davis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:49 pm

hi chris my name is tess i am new to the forum and hoping to find any information on thomas senior 7th battalion border regiment kia 25th august 1918 reg no 26526 born in salford lancashire i am hoping to find out were he was killed ie in what operation and if there is any photos of him i am new to this and any help would be fantastic regards teresa
tess davis
Private
Private

Re: pvt thomas senior

Postby kerchi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi Teresa,A very warm welcome to the forum.I had a quick look in the book I mentioned in a PM to you; the 7th Battalion at the time you mention were involved in the Second Battle of the Somme, an operation that started on the 21st August 1918. Here is account from the book taken from the 7th Battalion war diary:
25th August - Attacked Courcellete with Lincolns on right and Sherwoods in support. C Company on right, A on left, B Compnay in support and D in reserve. Attack passed through Courcellette and on towards Martinpuinch, held up on ridge W. or Martinpuich, no troops on left and Lancashire Fusiliers on right. Lincolns moved up on left and the attack went forward again to the ridge E. of matinpuich, which was held. A very heavy rainstorm made these operations more difficult and Company Commanders did great work in getting their companies into position. Lieutenant Lang did particularly well in reconnoitring positions for B and D Companies. During the fighting on the ridge E. of Martinpuich, where the enemy put up a stiff resistance and attempted a counter-attack, Second-Lieutenants Scott and Burn were wounded by machine gun fire.More to follow.
Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Thomas Senior isn't mention in the book in this section, but here is a continuation of the account:After two attempts B and D Companies advanced our line (on the 26th) 300 yards E. of Eaucourt l'Abbaye, taking up a position with the flanks protected; during this advance Captain Moorsom was wounded. A and C Companies, missing their direction, attacked at the same time on the right of the village of eaucourtl'Abbaye and advanced 1,200 yards towards Flers with the Lincolns, they then withdrew to the support of B and D Companies and took part in the third attack in which our line was advanced another 200 yards E. of Eaucourt l'Abbaye. The resistance was now everywhere stiffening, and it was evident that the enemy was putting up a strong fight in order to gain time for the withdrawal of his guns and supplies. The next entry in the book is the 27th followed by the 29th and 30th, but as this after the date of Thomas' death I have not included it here.Regarding photos, I do not have any but contact with the Border Regiment Museum might yield some more positive results.If you can check out the militatry section of Ancestry.co .uk you might be able to find Thomas' army records. I currently do not have access to this, sorry. If you have any other question please do not hesitate to ask.Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby tess davis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:48 pm

hi chris thankyou so much for your help thats fantastic info ive looked on ancestry there are no records for him except medal index card have you any info as to why he joined the border regiment he was one of three brothers who fought in the war his elder brother william john senior kia 29th august 1916 21st manchester regiment my grandfather served in royal engineers thomas is buried in pozieres cemetry and either side of him is a lincs soldier and a lancs soldier william john is buried in delville cemetry once again chris thanks so much for your help regards teresa
tess davis
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Teresa,It was not unusual for to have men enlist from other counties in the Border Regiment, especially during the mass recruitment drive to provide the large numbers needed to recoup the huge losses incurred on the battlefields. There were large numbers of men in other battalions of the Regiment from other places such as Manchester, Liverpool, Hereford, London and places in Scotland to name a few (even from abroad although this was rarer), so it was quite normal to have men from towns and cities across the country joining to fight in the Border Regiment.Sorry to hear you could not find his army records; I too only have my great grandfather's MIC.....what I would give to have his records!! Have you visited, or do you plan to visit his grave?Chris

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby tess davis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 am

HI CHRIS YES PLANNING A VISIT NEXT YEAR HOPEFULLY THOMAS IS BURIED IN POZIERS CEMETERY AND HIS BROTHER WILLIAM JOHN SENIOR IS BURIED IN DELVILLE WOOD CEMETERY BOTH PRETTY CLOSE BY THANKS AGAIN REGARDS TESS
tess davis
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Teresa,When you go, hope you have a memorable trip....and if you have time please let us know how you got on and possibly maybe a couple of pictures in this thread and in the gallery ;)Chris

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to 7th Battalion