War diary transcript Feb 1918- digging, wiring, & ceremonial

War diary transcript Feb 1918- digging, wiring, & ceremonial

Postby plbramham » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:16 pm

8th battalion THE BORDER REGIMENT war diaries

Hi, I’ve set myself a colossal task of transcribing the whole 8th Border Regt war diaries from when they went overseas in 1915 until they were disbanded in 1918. It will be a very long job as it consists of almost 200 A4 pages of copperplate scrawl written in faded pencil on tissue-type paper, with archaic English and obscure military abbreviations! I’ll get through it, but I’m estimating an average of about 45 minutes per page then checking on place name spellings etc, before typing it up. I received the diary pages as “raw” documents” from Mike Deacon and I have photoshopped them all individually to enhance the writing as best I can. Some are clear, but others are very pale grey pencil written on grey paper so I’ve had to introduce weird colours to tweak the contrast and show up the writing! Bear with me as I’ll post the transcription in stages – Watch this space!
Paul

Grammar, spelling mistakes (e.g. Ploegstreet/Ploegsteert), missed punctuation etc. left as on original documents
(words in round brackets) are as such on original
Illegible or guessed words in [square brackets?] with? question marks.
Transcription notes in [square brackets and italics]

February 1918

February events – digging, wiring & ceremonials

VRAUCOURT
1st- 5 officers & 250 other ranks employed on VAULY-MORCHIVES line digging. Remainder of Battalion employed on improvement of camp.
2nd - 5 officers & 250 other ranks employed on VAULY-MORCHIVES line wiring under RE supervision. Remainder of Battalion employed on improvement of camp.
3rd- 5 officers & 250 other ranks employed on VAULY-MORCHIVES line digging under RE supervision. Remainder of Battalion employed on improvement of camp. C of E service in camp at 5.30pm
4th- 5 officers & 200 other ranks employed on VAULY-MORCHIVES line wiring under RE supervision. Remainder of Battalion paraded at 9.30am for their Ceremonial Drill, remainder of morning under Company Commanders.
5th- 5 officers & 200 other ranks employed on VAULY-MORCHIVES line digging under RE supervision. Remainder of Battalion employed on improvement of camp.
6th- 5 officers & 200 other ranks employed on VAULY-MORCHIVES line wiring under RE supervision. Remainder of Battalion employed on improvement of camp.
LAGNICOURT
7th- Relieved 4th Bn South Staff Regt in the line. Relief commenced 6.30 pm. Finished 9pm. Night very dark. Enemy shelled spasmodically. 2 men wounded 1 remaining at duty.
8th- Dull & showery. Brig Gen BAIRD left Bde for India – succeeded Brig Gen DOBBIN. Enemy artillery fairly active.
9th-Fine – but dull- Heavy enemy shelling on front line – also behind LAGINCOURT – Forward post on left of POULTRY – received direct hit about 1 am 1 killed 1 wounded – one man was also killed R subsector 11am – Suspect new Regiment opposite. [ CWGC list no 8th Bn deaths on the 10th, but two on the 11th: CAPON, G. Private 28899 . Grevillers British Cemetery. BENNETT, JOHN JOSEPH Corporal 23691 Age: 27. NINE ELMS BRITISH CEMETERY. Son of Thomas and Catherine Bennett. Born Carlisle ]
10th- Fine- intermittent shelling on QUEANT road – also on post hut during night. Met GOC DIV in RIPON ALLEY. Lieut Col Birt departed on long leave – Enemy active in sniping.
11th- Representatives of relieving unit visited the line. Weather fine and trenches in good condition.
12th- Battalion relieved in the line by the 1st Btn [KSLF?] and moved back to camp at no 16. Relief completed at 10.30 pm.
LOG EAST CAMP
13th- Battalion moved back into Corps Reserve with remainder of division [We took?] over LOG EAST CAMP. Rained practically all day.
14th-Major F.S. Wilkinson left to take over command of11th Cheshires. Major G. Darwell MC took over command of the battalion. Day spent in cleaning up.
15th- & 16th- Programme of training carried out preceded by half hour ceremonial parade.
17th- Divine Service. Recreational training in afternoon. Lt Col CWH Birt DSO rejoined battalion.
18th- Major Darwell proceeded on leave to England. Programme of training carried out preceded by half an hour ceremonial drill.
19th-23rd- Programme of training carried out preceded by half hour ceremonial parade.
24th- Divine Service. Recreational training in afternoon.
25th-28th- Programme of training carried out preceded by half hour ceremonial parade.

CWH Birt Lt Col
plbramham
General
General

Return to 8th Battalion