Some Help on a 8th Battalion Soldier

Some Help on a 8th Battalion Soldier

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi

I have a friend who is a reletive of Ellis Jones and wanted me to put a request on any information anyone has on this man?
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Some Help on a 8th Battalion Soldier

Postby plbramham » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:25 am

The house where he ( full name William Ellis Jones) lived on Ferney Green Kendal is about a quarter of a mile from mine! (See the picture below which I provided for Spike’s Kendal Pals website). See that site: http://freewebs.com/kendalpals/kendalpals1.htm for a history of the battalion, plus on the wargraves page for initial “I J K L” ( click this then scroll down list for his entry) http://freewebs.com/kendalpals/ROH7.htm
This gives his details as : (quote)
“Age 22. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Jones, of 9, Ferney Green, Kendal, Westmorland. Killed whilst working on CT109 ( CT = communication trench) on 30th December 1915. Probable cause sniping which was rife in the area at the time.”
and also a newspaper photo of him ( attached below).

The war diary for the date of his death reads:

"30th- A enemy’s snipers were most active than usual [ not my grammar! Paul ] Pte Ellis Jones B Coy being killed in C T 109. The Battn occupied in repairing the parapet & draining trenches"

Also you may wish to read a transcription I have made of the 8th Bn war diary for the full month of his death: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2536

He features on the regimental roll of honour in the Border Regiment chapel in Kendal Parish Church which I helped to produce in 2012 ( see) viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1681&start=10

Regards Paul
Attachments
JonesWE_FerneyGreen9.jpg
9, Ferney Hill Kendal - home of W.E. Jones.
JonesWE_FerneyGreen9.jpg (109.04 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Jones WE 14316.jpg
W. E. Jones 14316
Jones WE 14316.jpg (45.25 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
plbramham
General
General

Re: Some Help on a 8th Battalion Soldier

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 am

Hi

Thank you for the information, its amazing how his house is still there and not changed its name!!
I have searched for his brother Private Ernest Jones 21st (6th City) Battalion Manchester Regiment who was killed in action 27 October 1917!
My friend has the pairs medals but doesnt know what to do with them as they are sat in a drawer! (As this is the usual situation)

Ben
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to 8th Battalion