8th Border in huts France

8th Border in huts France

Postby plbramham » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:09 pm

No date or location I'm afraid, just says "8th Border France" on the back, but a decent photo worth sharing I reckon?
Paul
Attachments
edit 8th border france ww1_edited-1.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: 8th Border in huts France

Postby spike » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks Paul
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:51 pm

A fantastic group photo. I wonder who the blurry chap is in what looks like civvies on the far right.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:30 am

kerchi wrote: I wonder who the blurry chap is in what looks like civvies on the far right.

Maybe a "local contractor" ( Frenchman) supplying goods/services to the camp perhaps? Also military camps always seem to attract locals selling "souvenirs" (like embroidered postcards in WW1) to the soldiers. It was updated a bit in Bosnia in the 1990s when they turned up outside the gates daily in a battered little van to flog pirate CDs !
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:45 pm

How the times change, eh? ;-)

I like to think this blurry chap was idly walking by and saw the photo being taken and realised he was in the way so he decided to move out of the way only to be too late just as the photographer takes the photo. However, it looks more like he saw it as an opportunity to get in on this one and just stands there with his hands in his pockets waiting for the photo to be taken.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:47 pm

plbramham wrote:It was updated a bit in Bosnia in the 1990s when they turned up outside the gates daily in a battered little van to flog pirate CDs !
Paul

I don't suppose you ever got the occasional dodgy VHS in those days did you? :razz:

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Nah, just got poor quality Pink Floyd and Springsteen CDs bought from a bombed out basement where they were produced! -You could have had anything from Mozart to rap music though!
Paul
(Hey wasn't there a song early 70s including the lyrics " bombed out basement ... there was a band playing in my head and I felt like getting high.... replacement.... sky", or am I just getting old!)

Later - Got it "After the Goldrush", lyrics by Neil Young, and it was "burnt out basement". (Words allegedly inspired by "dreams" of US soldiers in Vietnam after smoking cannabis - it all comes around doesn't it?)

I was lying in a burned out basement
With the full moon in my eyes.
I was hoping for replacement
When the sun burst thru the sky.
There was a band playing in my head
And I felt like getting high.
I was thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.
Thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.