WW1 soldiers workshop manual

The place to discuss books, magazines, documentaries, websites or events connected with the Regiment past and present.

WW1 soldiers workshop manual

Postby plbramham » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi,
While I certainly would never condone “advertising” on a site such as this, may I “recommend” a second hand book I have recently bought?

I guess many of our generation used Haynes car/ motorbike manuals to do up our “old bangers”? It appears they have now diversified into a WW1 soldier manual, and WW1 tank manual ( maybe others too? - I don’t know)

(Note I have no connection with authors / publishers/ vendors - just a really great book, I thought others might enjoy) :

”Great War British Tommy Manual: The British Soldier 1914-18 (All Models) (Haynes Owners' Workshop Manuals)".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-War-Briti ... 0857332414

The new price is about £25, but you can get a good second hand copy through Amazon for just over £10.

I'm surprised I haven't seen it before - no reviews etc.

Excellent for reading or just reference Very detailed and informative but not in massively complicated military terminology ( doesn't treat you like an imbecile though!)

Let’s face it, £10 hardly buys you a paperback fiction novel these days!

Click on link and have a look - It's great! ( After the link, Check the left hand side "look inside" previews of selected pages to give an idea of contents)

Regards Paul
Incidentally WW1 tank is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-War-Tank- ... W7WRHN29YW
plbramham
General
General

Re: WW1 soldiers workshop manual

Postby plbramham » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Later note:
Page 63 shows the Lonsdale's 11th Bn during musketry training - never seen this photo before.
Page 85 shows what I believe is 8th Bn in captured German trench at Ovillers, Somme, July 1916. (I think it is a different view of the classic image of them taken looking down with a Sergeant on left -attached) In the image in the book, it appears that the soldier on sentry is on the "parados" (rear) of the trench, rather than the "parapet", thus looking the "wrong" way - hence why I think in a "captured trench" ?
Paul.
Attachments
Border  WW1 Ovillers  Somme  1916.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Looks a good book Paul you could show me it tomorrow.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby spike » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Was the picture this one Paul,
It is from the Lonsdale Booklet produced by Thurnams in 1915.
page 26.jpg
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:21 am

plbramham wrote:Hi, While I certainly would never condone “advertising” on a site such as this, may I “recommend” a second hand book I have recently bought?

I guess many of our generation used Haynes car/ motorbike manuals to do up our “old bangers”? It appears they have now diversified into a WW1 soldier manual, and WW1 tank manual ( maybe others too? - I don’t know)

You are always welcome to recommend any publication you, or anyone else, think might be of interest.....and what a great recommendation this is! :-)

I have just added it (and the WW1 Tanks one too) to my Amazon books wish list.

The musketry training photos, if it indeed is the same one as Spike's suggestion, is one that I have become familiar with because of Spike's generosity in passing on scanned copies of the entire booklet on to me. Rare and interesting photos are on every page of that booklet, I just wish I had the original!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:18 pm

No, It's a different image - never seen it before, Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Return to Media & Information