Useful Websites List

Websites that are worth having a look at. This can be anything relating to the Border Regiment from any time period. Add your suggestions here.

Re: Useful Websites List

Postby mrdeacon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:54 pm

You just carry on Spike your doing a great job.

I use 2 web sites for war diaries that are free for the Australians and Canadians that i may find in a cemetery i have been looking in.
i just like to see if i can find any more info on them.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/arch ... 202_e.html

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/index.asp The Australian war diaries are incomplete

Thanks to Diane for posting these on another forum i use, and now it is a great help in my research.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Gents,

thanks for sharing these website links, reall useful,
Cheers,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Spike i see we are playing Footbal Manager 12 so hows Carlisle doing then ?
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby spike » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 pm

I leave the Football Manager to Greg, Mike....it's not me, its' my son

and he's been sacked by Carlisle, and Liverpool and left Chelmsford for
Stockport...last I knew :geek:
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 pm

spike wrote:I leave the Football Manager to Greg, Mike....it's not me, its' my son

and he's been sacked by Carlisle, and Liverpool and left Chelmsford for
Stockport...last I knew :geek:

Tell us anything Spike ;-)

The wife had to hide my copy of Football Manager i would be up all night totally addicted i was :eeek:
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Wow! These are quite diverse. Some familiar ones, which I hadn't posted because I thought I they were well known (but then I shouldn't automatically think that people will know them in the same way we do). I will have to have another look at some of the ones I have come across in the past now I know they don't have to be Border Regiment/Cumberland/Westmorland related :redface: :razz:
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Some sites I have found useful for acquiring pictures for my project, by asking the contributors
if they would share their photographs.

Yorkshire Indexers- a site with many grave photographs from Yorkshire

Trinity School Carlisle War Memorial- a study of the school War Memorial and the names thereon.

Geograph- photographing the British Isles.

After The Conflict - Cumbria War Memorials- Ian Lewis' blog about Cumbrian War Memorials.
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Re: Useful Websites List -London Gaztte

Postby plbramham » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:47 am

Just in case anyone missed this on the original posting about searching The London Gazette for awards, appointments, promotions etc:
Hi Chris,
I know what you mean about having to scroll through London Gazettes. Here's some tips I picked up finding info on George Darwell ( posted elsewhere)
Go to http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search
On the date to narrow down the possible matches, don't go for the pre-set (e.g. World World One) enter your own (e.g. 1 Jan 1915 to 30 Dec 1916)
Use "with all the words" Enter "Border" plus the surname ( e.g. Darwell) Don't use "Regiment" as the Gazette sometimes uses Regt, Rgt, or R., so may not match.
When you get the PDF use a right click or the search facility and enter the surname, then go to "find next" This saves time not having to scroll through the whole page.
This (usually) finds you all appointments, promotions, citations ( but also bankruptcies etc) .It often lists soldiers assets (financial) on death- these can usually be spotted on the matches list before calling up the PDF as there are names and other regiments listed on either side on the preview.
I did once try the date preset "First World War" then "Border". That gave me one hell of a list of matches. At the start of them I got a lot of the emergency granting of commissions ( especially 3rd Border) in 1914. (George Darwell spent years as a Lt. but became Capt. on outbreak of war.I guess that happened with a lot of the regular junior officers)
Hope this helps, Regards, Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi guys, you may have noticed this thread has been somewhat sliced and diced but fear not the posts have been moved into different subforums relating to their various subjects. Apologies to those who have contributed already to this excellent thread. The remaining chit-chat posts will remain here until this thread is completely updated, afterwhich they will be deleted.

Please post any new 'useful websites' to the relavant subforums in the main WEBSITES forum.

Thanks
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Useful Websites