CWGC improved search (Archive)

Websites that are worth having a look at. This can be anything relating to the Border Regiment from any time period. Add your suggestions here.

CWGC improved search (Archive)

Postby plbramham » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 am

Has everyone noticed the improved advanced search on CWGC? For anyone who has ever given up faced with endless matches when researching a Smith, Jones, Johnson etc, you can now narrow your search by adding other details such as regiment, country/location commemorated , first name (previously just initials), etc.

Not wanting to "teach my grandmother how to suck eggs", as I'm sure most of you know, the standard of literacy was not great in some records, especially with alternative name spellings ( e.g. Read, Reed, Reid, Reade, Reede), so watch out for that.

A useful tip I've found - if you just type in "Border Regiment", and a date range, leaving all the other boxes blank, you will get the results of ALL regimental casualties for that conflict, thus creating you own personalised "Roll of Honour" .

Now, don't all go doing it at once!!!,

Regards, Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Re: CWGC improved search

Postby spike » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Finally..... 8-)

At least they have kept their pages the same, so sites such as this appear to have survived the change

CWGC Cemeteries

I like the new mapping page, showing the location on a google map.
Could have saved me a bit of work, but wouldn't have been half as interesting.... :geek:
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby spike » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 am

CWGC improved search

Postby plbramham » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 am
Has everyone noticed the improved advanced search on CWGC? For anyone who has ever given up faced with endless matches when researching a Smith, Jones, Johnson etc, you can now narrow your search by adding other details such as regiment, country/location commemorated , first name (previously just initials), etc.
Not wanting to "teach my grandmother how to suck eggs" , as I'm sure most of you know, the standard of literacy was not great in some records, especially with alternative name spellings ( e.g. Read, Reed, Reid, Reade, Reede), so watch out for that.
A useful tip I've found. - if you just type in "Border Regiment", and a date range, leaving all the other boxes blank, you will get the results of ALL regimental casualties for that conflict, thus creating you own personalised "Roll of Honour" .
Now, don't all go doing it at once!!!, Regards, Paul.

Worth adding the new link here ;-

CWGC - Search for War Dead
Our casualty database lists the names and place of commemoration of the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars.
It also records details of the 67,000 Commonwealth civilians who died "as a result of enemy action" in the Second World War.
Use the filters below to search our records.It is possible to search by surname, date, war, rank, regiment, awards or any combination of those criteria.
Search results can be sorted by column heading, printed and clicked on for access to more information.

Also the new Cemetery search

CWGC - Find a Cemetery
Our cemetery database contains information about 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations worldwide where Commonwealth casualties from the two world wars are commemorated.
Use the filters on the left hand side of this page to search for a cemetery or memorial by name, country, war, size or any combination of those criteria.
Search results can be sorted by column heading, printed and clicked on for more information - including locations notes, maps, plans and pictures.
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:24 pm

I second that....finally!

I'm re-editing my post as I seemed to have got things a little muddled with my repsonse (I was using my mobile at the time); I thought I was replying to Paul's London Gazette post, which I like the sound of. It could've made my life easier when searching for DCMs. Now, to the correct response regarding the CWGC.

I noticed a couple of days ago when I was looking for Adanac Military Cemetery that the whole site has changed. My first response was WOW! :|o the new look is amazing and I like the way everything has been set out - clean and refreshing, which is what the site was in dire need of. I had been playing around with a header similar to that in one of my templates (skins) on the wiki but never got round to finishing it off. Seeing the CWGCs new look has given me the drive to get it finished (but I have so much to do on the wiki I can't find the time).

I digress though. The search for casualty and cemetery is great and with the advanced features of both, including the use of filters, you can really narrow down any search quickly.

One minor issue (to me regarding my site) I have is that the CWGC has very kindly allowed me to use their images and cemetery details on the wiki (that I am compiling for my casualties of the Border Regiment). Whilst the details are still there, the cemetery image is not clickable to enlarge and it was these that I was using when listing each of the cemeteries that contain Border Regiment casualties. Has anyone registered on the site yet? I haven't but am wondering if the images become linkable after registration.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Useful Websites