Project Gutenburg (Archive)

Websites that are worth having a look at. This can be anything relating to the Border Regiment from any time period. Add your suggestions here.

Project Gutenburg (Archive)

Postby plbramham » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:18 am

Project Gutenburg is an excellent site with 1000s of pre 1955 books you can download at no cost, and has a very good WW1 section - take a look, it's searchable by subject, title, and author.

Paul

http://gutenburg.org

(I haven't always found what I'm looking for with this address, try a search for "Project Gutenburg" if it doesn't work for you)
plbramham
General
General

Re: Project Gutenburg

Postby kerchi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Paul, the link is dead, this is the correct link, it has an extra E instead of a U:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

This is a great site and I have used it to download Sir Ian Hamilton's Gallipoli Diary. There isn't much in the way of Border Regiment anywhere but it does have WWI literature that some people would find interesting.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Project Gutenburg

Postby plbramham » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:55 pm

You're right, my mistake with the spelling. My excuse is that I did Spanish at school not German! (or was Gutenberg Dutch?)
It haven't found any strictly Border books on there, but ones I found interesting are:
Adventures of a Despatch Rider by Capt WHL Watson, The First Hundred Thousand by Ian Hay, How I Filmed the War by Geoffrey H.Malins, & A Soldiers Sketches Under Fire by Harold Harvey
If you go to www.archive.org/details/temporarygentlem00dawsrich you can read on line or download " A Temporary Gentleman in France" by Capt AJ Dawson of The Border Regiment. Although it doesn't actually state it, Spike tells me that it is based on The Lonsdale Btn.
Regards, Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Return to Useful Websites