Looking for a free website provider, any recommendations

Websites that are worth having a look at. This can be anything relating to the Border Regiment from any time period. Add your suggestions here.

Looking for a free website provider, any recommendations

Postby spike » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a good free website host provider for my 5th Border War Grave Project.

My present provider Webs.com hosts my other sites and I was going to stick with them.
They have stopped supporting HTML coding on their new sites (although my present sites
still are supported) They want people to use their site builder and claim people writing
their own HTML was in low demand ( not by the complaints they have had I think).
The person on the contact desk is not giving a very good argument, but still they
appear to be stuck on this path......

Do any poster know or use a good free webhost which still allow HTML coding only?
I've spent a lot of time designing and getting my sites to where they are and
don't wish to have to spend ages redesigning them.
Any suggestions would be considered.....
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Re: Looking for a free website provider, any recommendations

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:20 am

Spike,

This is tricky as just a quick search provides quite a few possible free hosting sites, none of which mention building with html. These days it's all about building websites quickly "without having any html knowledge" (which is how they sell it because people without coding skills - myself included - can build sites quickly with as little fuss as possible. This, I am sure you already know, but you might have to consider paying instead if the free hosting sites (which usually have some sort of catch and limitations on space etc.) don't deliver. This is not what you want but it might have to be the step you'll need to take to keep your outstanding projects going.

I have paid for my sites from the start because I didn't want to be limited with space and have those really annoying ads. I use Siteground.com, which is an American company but they have hosting in Europe (this forum and wiki is actually hosted in the States). It costs me $19.95 for the domain name every couple of years and $107 each year for hosting but I think this is worth the service they provide and I don't mind paying out for this if I know people are happy with the forum and wiki and if they get some (enjoyable) use out of it.

The only other thing I can think of is providing space on this site: border-regiment-forum.com/yoursiteshere at no cost to you whatsoever.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for the offer Chris, one day I may take you up on it.
I've often wondered what I would do with my sites if webs.com shut down
or I couldn't work on them......

I had a bit of a think and decided I could add the new pages to my
existing webs sites hosting areas. The two for the 8th and the 7th
Border are nowhere near as large or use the bandwidth allowed.
So then set them up as seperate sites by the navigation ie

http ://www.freewebs.com/7borderandyeo/5thterrier1.htm ........etc

That way I can keep using the format I'm familiar with and buy a bit of time
whilst I consider my options.....
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 am

No problem mate. I hope your options provide you with the opportunity to expand your sites in the same manner you have been doing all this time. Remember way back when we spoke on the phone and I was asking you for advice on how to set up a website? I was really impressed by your Lonsdale site and emailed you; must be about eight or so years by now, surely.

Having a backup plan is always a good idea and while I know that siteground.com is a big company that has been so much better than the last one used (hence the move) we never know what will happen in the future regarding our sites.

It's an unnerving thought to think that as I get older and technology gets more advanced I won't be able to continue running these sites because it will simply be too complicated for me - I can feel my stupidity grow each year :-\ ! !

As it stands now, I don't run the system upgrades or do anything with php, far too complicated for me; that is left to the capable hands of a colleague at work, which without his help there wouldn't be a site here right now for me to be typing this. So my backup plan is him and his expertise, which I feel lucky to have.

I salute you and your work in html ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Useful Websites