Lives of the First World War

Websites that are worth having a look at. This can be anything relating to the Border Regiment from any time period. Add your suggestions here.

Lives of the First World War

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Was anyone interested enough to some time ago to provide an email address to the IWM's Lives of the First World War website to be notified when the new project would be going live for the first time? All this is in preparation for what could be a monumental project pieced together by the public using their own digitised documents and photos uploaded to the site.

In their words:
Lives of the First World War will bring material from museums, libraries, archives and family collections from across the world together in one place. IWM needs your help to explore those documents, to link them together and to start telling the stories of those who served in uniform and worked on the home front.

I got my invite to start previewing the beta version of the site today but won't get chance to look at it properly for a few days. I was curious if anyone else was interested in using the Lives of the First World War site and if so what your views are on the project.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Lives of the First World War

Postby kerchi » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 pm

I have had the opportunity to add some info about my great grandfather John Bardgett to his "Life Story" page. It takes a little getting used but fairly simple after a few goes of adding details from various sources etc., or uploading photos.

I am under the impression that everyone who served during the First World War has a "Life Story" page.

Spike - I found your great grandfather and am now "remembering him" from my dashboard page.

I think when they have finished beta testing and the site goes live properly, anyone will be able to add info to their ancestor's page. I can't you guys what I have done so far as it is still invite-only but I think it will take off relatively quickly when it does go live. They will have iron out a few kinks but overall a good idea that I hope gets the attention it deserves.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:46 am

Has anyone else logged into to this service? Interested to hear your views.

Here's the one I have been working on of my great grandfather: John Bardgett

Here's Spike's great grandfather's page, which I am following: John Farrer. I haven't looked for anyone else's yet to follow.

If anyone else decides to take part in this I would be interested to include them as part of those I am "following".

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:01 pm

It is another one that I had not heard of Chris.
So will have a look at the links you provided.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby plbramham » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:46 am

Seems really great. Guess anyone wanting to participate had better get in quickly, as I am sure they will be "swamped" in the coming months,
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:00 am

I haven't used the site since it was in beta testing but it looks like it has really taken off. I think, as with anything new, it will be extremely popular and then will taper off eventually but it will be a great resource for future generations. I will probably get involved with it again after I have moved.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Useful Websites