Yesterday's Heroes (audio)

There have been televised and radio broadcast documentaries about people and places relating to the Regiment; if you have seen any please mention them here.

Re: Yesterday's Heroes (audio)

Postby JohnFearn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:02 am

Now, now Chris - flogging was abolished in the British Army in 1881, but I suspect that Field Punishment Number One could be adapted to suit you. Imagine being tied to your computer for two hours a day for up to three months............ Nothing new there then! http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWfield.htm I doubt you've had time to notice with all the changes you've been busy working on, but I've posted a few images in the Gallery recently.
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:41 am

I don't like the sound of Field Punishment Number One either....not much of an improvement, however, transferring that to modern times I could just about manage two hours a day on the old 'puter for three months. In fact I would welcome that; imagine how much I could get done on the forum!Read the article from the link you posted. I did not know what this punishment involved, and I quote from the site for those who have not seen it:
When flogging came to an end in 1881 a new way of dealing with soldiers found guilty of minor offences such as drunkenness was also introduced. This was called Field Punishment Number One and involved the offender being attached to a fixed object for up to two hours a day and for a period up to three months. During the First World War, these men were sometimes put in a place within range of enemy shell-fire. *
I am quite surprised about the part that mention sometimes the men were placed within enemy shell fire  :o  Thanks for the link John, found that interesting :DI have just had a look at the images you posted in the gallery; they make great additions; many thanks for including them. I particularly like the 'orders', the 'Prees Heath Hutments' and the 'Unknown Border Regiment Men'....thinking about it that's actually all of them! I did leave a couple of comments.

Now back to the next Installment of Yesterday's Heroes, which I shall post shortly.

* Source: Spartacus Educational website
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 am

Part 7: Diary of Sydney Evans at Gallipoli (17:19-20:04)

In this part a reading of the diary tells us Sergeant Evans' words in detail describing the hell that is war, the noise, death, destruction and the stench of men in advanced stages of decomposition, and finally of going over the top to fight the enemy.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Part 8: George Hudson pt2 (20:04-22:55)

In this part George talks about the tipple they used to have, that being navy rum.He also talks of the horrors of bayonetting, his sniper duties and that if you volunteered to fight in the war, you had to do it, you can't run away!.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Part 9: Regimental Museum pt1 (22:55-26:10)

In this part a Mr Price of the Regimental Museum, who served in the Border Regiment in the 2nd World War talks of the soldiers who won the VC for their actions and how brave these men were. He also talks of a soldier's everyday items (both British and German) such as bandages, water bottles, mess tins, wire cutters and trench periscopes.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Part 10: Regimental Museum pt2 and Fred Francis (26:10-28:41)

In this part Mr Price briefly mentions the early gas masks and how they didn't really offer much protection.

Fred Francis talks about the work he does on Benevolent Fund for soldiers who might have fallen on hard times, the camaraderie between soliders and best mates and a quick mention of the Lonsdale Cemetery.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Part 11: Outro and Poem (28:41-29:59)

Excerpt from the poem:

For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

The full poem:
With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, that's the lot. Hope you enjoyed listening to that as much as I did when I first heard it. Will be interested to hear what others think of this recording :)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Previous

Return to TV & Radio