Yesterday's Heroes (audio)

There have been televised and radio broadcast documentaries about people and places relating to the Regiment; if you have seen any please mention them here.

Yesterday's Heroes (audio)

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:01 am

The following series of audio is from a radio broadcast called Yesterday's Heroes, about the Border Regiment. It has a compilation of music and interviews with men from the regiment who fought during WW1.I do not know the station it was broadcast from or exactly how old it is, but I am guessing it was broadcast in about 1985.

The copy I was given came from someone I was fortunate enough to meet a few years ago; a great guy who was also very keen on the Border Regiment and in particular, the Lonsdales. Sadly, I have not heard from him for quite some time so I hope he, or the copyright holder, does not mind that I have made this series of audio files here.These files have been split into several sections for ease of uploading. To play a segment click the play button twice.

Total running time of all parts combined: 29m59s.

This is a remarkable and moving recording that I am very pleased to be including here. I hope you enjoy listening :D

Part 1: Introduction (2m48s)

Watch out for part 2, which will include an interview with Fred Francis of the 11th Battalion.

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Yesterday's Heroes (audio)

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Part 2: Fred Francis pt1 (02:48-05:41)

In this part Fred talks about the conditions of the trenches and what it was like to live in them, the discipline of the Lonsdale Battalion and going over the top!He also mentions the first day of the Battle of the Somme, his commanding officer, Colonel Machell, and his heoric but tragic death.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Part 3: Fred Francis pt2 (05:41-08:35)

In this part Fred talks about being wounded and stranded out in No Man's Land and what was running through his mind at the time.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Part 4: John Mandale pt1 (08:35-11:13)

In this part John, who was a Sergeant in the Lonsdales, talks about the infamous bully-beef diet, sleeping conditions and being ready for action in the front line.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby dally » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Chris, this is fantastic stuff, can't wait for the rest. I think that above anything else to do with the war I enjoy hearing and reading these personnel accounts.I kick myself when I think of all the people I once new who could tell these stories and now are sadly no longer here.Keep up the good work.
Remembering all those who thought we were worth fighting for. Not Forgotten
dally
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks Dally, I totally agree with you.

I could kick myself sometimes because I knew that my grandfather, although having nothing to do with the Border Regiment (he was a Desert Rat) would've had some pretty interesting stories to tell  :) but unfortunately I just wasn't interested then when I was a kid. Now, I am totally fascinated and wish I could've heard some of the stories that would've kept me engrossed for hours. He might have even been able to tell me some stories of my great grandfather, a Lonsdale, who was the inspiration to start me off with this forum and my wiki projects.I am pleased a copy of this recording was passed to me; I wish I had others of this type to share but for now I will set about adding the next installment.Chris  8)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:53 pm

Part 5: John Mandale and George Hudson (11:13-14:32)

In this part John talks about seeing one of the first Zeppelins that flew over London whilst he was there convalescing in hospital. If you're interested, an article I transcribed about the Zeppelin Raids can be seen on my wiki site here. It is from the book The Year 1915 Illustrated by an annoymous author, published in 1916.

George, a sniper during his army days, talks about the trenches, dugouts and the dangers of shell fire whilst occupying them.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Part 6: George Hudson pt1 (14:32-17:19)

In this part George talks about medical attention and how many men bled to death before having any treatment. He also mentions two different types of gas weaponry used and how he tell the difference between them.What out for the next part of a personal war diary reading of Sydney Evans at Gallipoli.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby JohnFearn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:09 pm

ChrisThese programmes were broadcast by BBC Radio Carlisle sometime in the 1980s. Somewhere in my crazy house I have cassettes with the broadcast dates on them..........Thanks for making them available to a wider audience.

Kind regards,John
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby kerchi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi John,It's great to hear from you again :DI am pleased to have included them here; something as interesting as this should be more freely available...I just hope I don't get 10 lashes for copyright insubordination!!! If you ever find the broadcast dates one day please let me know, thanks.

Chris

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Next

Return to TV & Radio