Piecing together The Battle of the Somme film

There have been televised and radio broadcast documentaries about people and places relating to the Regiment; if you have seen any please mention them here.

Piecing together The Battle of the Somme film

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:34 pm

I am probably committing a whole stack-load of copyright issues by including these series here but this was another set of vids that I came across looking for information about the Battle of the Somme.I bought the video of the original footage from ebay about three years ago and was hooked as I watched the scenes before me.

There was a lot of controversy about the validity of the action in some of the scenes in as much as some people were claiming certain scenes to be staged. This is very believable if you have ever seen the film, the most famous of these is men 'going over the top' and being shot down as they charge. There have been countless discussions and arguments about this and personally I do not take a strong view on this because what would be the point. If some of the scenes were staged, it was still a film; a film that was made using real action with a little acting thrown in to add to the propaganda of the subject, after all it was 1916. But enough about that. It would have been good to see the whole film in segments and share it with those who have not yet seen it but that is whole other project and I only have it on video.

These documentary segments are about using forensic science to uncover the truth behind the original documentary film footage of The Battle of the Somme. Even though it is not about the Border Regiment it is still interesting stuff....I hope they don't shoot me down for showing it here  ::)

Enjoy

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: The Battle of the Somme

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Part 2 of 8

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Part 3 of 8

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Part 4 of 8

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Part 5 of 8

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Part 6 of 8

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Part 7 of 8

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Part 8 of 8

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Piecing together The Battle of the Somme film

Postby JohnFearn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Excellent work Chris. I'd not worry too much about the copyright - leave YouTube to take any flak!Pen and Sword have a book out later this month about the Somme film.
9781844158362.jpg
9781844158362.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 5035 times

Ghosts on the Somme: Filming the Battle, June-July 1916
Pen & Sword Military
Author: Alastair H. Fraser, Andrew Robertshaw, Steve Roberts
Format: Hardback
ISBN: 9781844158362
Published: 19 March 2009
Published at £25, but listed at tesco.com at £16.25
Andrew Robertshaw is from the National Army Museum and features in the clips you've posted.Something else to spend our money on!

John.
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Piecing together The Battle of the Somme film

Postby kerchi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 pm

John,Ghosts on the Somme looks like something well worth the money, can't wait to get it (if I remember that is). It'll be interesting to see what they say about the film, how they disect it and piece it back together again, but mainly to take it as it is, a film that is almost 93 years old made for an audience of the time at a time of war!Thanks for that John, better write it down....mind like sieve sometimes!! ::)Chris

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to TV & Radio