Border Regiment in Natal - Memorial to Dead Comrades (1st Ba

Border Regiment in Natal - Memorial to Dead Comrades (1st Ba

Postby kerchi » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:16 pm

Carlisle Journal, 8th December 1899Memorial to Dead Comrades

The 1st Border Regiment, who according to latest reports was at Frere, have erected a memorial to the men of the Dublin Fusiliers who were killed in the armoured train reconnaissance from Estcourt.  The inscription over the grave reads: Erected by the 34th Regiment in memory of their brave comrades who fell November 15th, 1899.  The Colonel of the Fusiliers has sent a letter thanking the officers and men of the Border Regiment for this mark of respect and sympathy.

Source: Cumberland and Westmorland Newspaper Transcriptions
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Border Regiment in Natal - Memorial to Dead Comrades (1st Battalion)

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Chris,

I have a page torn out of a magazine of the period that features a drawing of the memorial. The page was in my grandads stuff which gave me the impresion that he was involved in the making of the memorial or at least knew enough about it to tear the page out and keep it!I will try to find it in my 'stuff' and try to scan it on the forum. It was a simple memorial with part of it made out of shell/bullet cases!Just out of interest this train incident/action was where Winston Churchill was taken prisoner by the boers!Regards and best wishes,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Scottie,

That would excellent if could find the page. Fingers crossed! It would be nice to know that your granddad was involved in the making of the memorial, but if not, at least he though it important enough to keep a reminder of it in his collection of 'things' that would eventually make their way to you. The fact that it is partly made out of shell casings is somewhat poetic!  ;D

I did not know that about Churchill...I really like hearing and reading about these random connections that crop up from time to time.Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Chris,

found the page, its a bit 'moth eaten' and sadly I have been unable to attach it. If I send you a scan of it could you please post it for me?Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Border Regiment in Natal - Memorial to Dead Comrades (1s

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:29 pm

The below image was sent to me by Scottie and is here posted on his behalf. It shows the torn-out page in its entirety from the magazine 'Black and White', dated 6th January 1900. A close-up is shown in the next post.

Memorial drawing [resized].jpg
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Border Regiment in Natal - Memorial to Dead Comrades (1s

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:38 pm

The close-up showing a little more detail than before. The sketch is uncomplicated and shows the very nature of what it is supposed to show, an honest memorial to those who fell on the 15th November 1899; in many images such as this, with the obligatory soldier standing over the memorial paying his respects to fellow comrades. The artist was the then special correspondent on the Eastern Border and the sketch is also signed and dated '99.A simple and touching sketch. Many thanks to Scottie for finding this little treasure amongst his grandfathers things.See below for the artist's inscription.ALONGSIDE THE WRECK OF THE ARMOURED TRAIN AT CHIVELEY THE MEN HAVE A ERECTED A MOMENTO OF THE DISASTER. THE LETTERS ARE FORMED OF THE EMPTY CARTRIDGE CASES USED BY OUR MEN THE DAY OF THEIR HEROIC STAND.

Memorial drawing [image only].jpg
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:16 am

Chris,

thank you very much for your help in posting this.Amongst the 'stuff' I have accumalated over the years I have obtained some photocopies of The Border magazine that has some really intersting articles entitled 'Reminiscences South Africa, 1899 to 1902' by Brigadier General G.H. HARRISON.In the September issue 1950 it mentions a reunion at the site of the armoured train attack and that the memorial still being in situ with a comment; It speaks well for the builders of the original memorial that such clear evidence of their work remains after a lapse of fifty years!  Don't know if anything remains there today? will have to pay a visit sometime to find out :)If my memory serves me correctly the Border Regiment had previously 'manned' the armoured train just the day before the Boer attack so they had a lucky escape!Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Carlisle Journal