National Trust - Chartwell (Winston Churchill's Home)

The place to kick off those shoes and take it easy.
Forum rules In this forum you can talk about anything you like (within reason of course!) so relax, be yourself and have a chat about random interests...

National Trust - Chartwell (Winston Churchill's Home)

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi guys,

I have been meaning to upload these photos for a couple of weeks. We went as a day trip when the weather was glorious and warm (even if rather irksome for hayfever sufferers like myself), the skies were blue, well mostly, and the place without a doubt, inspiring. The house itself sits on a substantial plot of land including the well-kept gardens, lakes and sizable woodlands. However, although we were unable to photograph inside the house, walking through the rooms provides a real sense of history, especially as everything has been kept exactly as it whilst the Churchill's still lived there.

In the words of the National Trust:

"Family home and garden of Sir Winston Churchill Chartwell was the much-loved Churchill family home and the place from which Sir Winston drew inspiration from 1924 until the end of his life.

The rooms remain much as they were when he lived here, with pictures, books and personal mementos evoking the career and wide-ranging interests of a great statesman, writer, painter and family man.

The hillside gardens reflect Churchill's love of the landscape and nature. They include the lakes he created, Lady Churchill's rose garden, the kitchen garden and the Marycot, a playhouse created especially for the youngest Churchill daughter."

There is plenty to see if you get a ticket for the whole kit and caboodle (the house, studio, exhibition and gardens) but this is going to set you back £12 for adults, £6 for kids and £30 for a family; group prices are slightly cheaper.

I could go on and tell you everything I learned but that could take some time so instead I'll just provide three links instead:

Chatrwell - National Trust Website
Chartwell - Trip Advisor Review
Chartwell - Wikipedia Article

I'll add some of the photos I took of the exterior of the house and the gardens in the following posts or you can check out the entire set in the gallery HERE.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: National Trust - Chartwell (Winston Churchill's Home)

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Chartwell (1).jpg
Chartwell in all its majesty

Chartwell (4).jpg
Chartwell exterior

Chartwell (7).jpg
Chartwell from Winston's studio

Chartwell (9).jpg
Chartwell from across the lake and swan pen
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Chartwell (12).jpg
Front of Chartwell

Chartwell (14).jpg
Chartwell gardens

Chartwell (18).jpg
Chartwell gardens

Chartwell Gardens (1).jpg
Chartwell gardens looking towards the studio and the view Winston fell in love with

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Chartwell Gardens (3).jpg
Chartwell Gardens

Chartwell lake and island (2).jpg
Chartwell lake and island

Chartwell lake and island (4).jpg
Chartwell lake and island

Ducks (4).jpg
Ducks and more ducks

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Garden leading to Clementine Churchill's rose garden.jpg
Garden leading to Clementine Churchill's rose garden

Golden Rose avenue (2).jpg
Golden Rose Avenue

Golden Rose avenue (4).jpg
Golden Rose Avenue

Chartwell Roses (4).jpg
One of the golden roses

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Malborough Pavilion (1).jpg
View of the Malborough Pavilion

Malborough Pavilion (2).jpg
The Malborough Pavilion

Stairs leading to extended landscaped gardens and lakes.jpg
Stairs leading to extended landscaped gardens and lakes

Statue of Winston and Clementine Churchill.jpg
Statue of Winston and Clementine Churchill by the lake

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Studio House.jpg
The Studio House

Swan pen.jpg
The Swan Pen

Chartwell bomb crater.jpg
Bomb crater in the nearby woods

Wooden bomb sculpture.jpg
Wooden bomb sculpture

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:12 pm

That's about it for the photos but there are some more in the gallery mentioned in the top post.

For those of you in the north this is a bit of a trek but if you are ever passing by it is definitely worth dropping in and taking a look.

For me it was standing in Winston's office where many of his speeches were written, amazing!

Any questions? Just post below ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to The 'Lounge'