Goodreads website

The place to kick off those shoes and take it easy.
Forum rules In this forum you can talk about anything you like (within reason of course!) so relax, be yourself and have a chat about random interests...

Goodreads website

Postby kerchi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:40 am

Is anyone a member of the Goodreads website. Heard about it a while back and thought it might be a good place to look for new books, review, rate and discuss military books (or any other books you likes reading).

I only joined up yesterday so I am a newbie :-\
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Goodreads website

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04 pm

I had never heard of it until now Chris, so you will be the guinea pig and let us know how you get on ;-)

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Goodreads website

Postby kerchi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:15 am

While I have been off work this week (hurt my back and neck moving the heavy boxes of books we packed last week!!) I have had a chance to sign up, create a profile and add a load of books to my profile and rate them, although I haven't done any reviews yet.

It's quite an impressive site. The database is massive with 750 million books so far; finding and adding books has been a doodle and it's a great way to look back at the things you have read, liked, disliked and it will give you recommendations based on those likes etc.

There is also a function to (because Amazon bought the site) add all your Amazon-bought books in one go, which populated my "bookshelves" as they call them straight away. You can mark a book as "read", "want to read" and add it to any bookshelf you create. I am doing mine based on genre. I am currently reading: Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell.

I am at the moment, however, a billy-no-mates on there. There is a function to use Facebook and gmail etc. to search your friends and see if they have accounts too but I don't use Facebook so I can't find out if the majority of my friends (who have Facebook accounts) have a goodreads account. I will have to do that the old fashioned way and ask in person!

Overall, I like it so far. I am just trying to remember which books I have read years ago but my memory seems to be failing me :-\

If anyone does consider using it you can connect with my profile here: Chris (Corieltauvi)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to The 'Lounge'