Days Out: Places you've enjoyed over the years

The place to kick off those shoes and take it easy.
Forum rules In this forum you can talk about anything you like (within reason of course!) so relax, be yourself and have a chat about random interests...

Days Out: Places you've enjoyed over the years

Postby kerchi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:34 am

I thought I'd follow in Paul's footsteps and start a "days out" topic but instead of it being "hidden gems" (click here for Paul's posting on those) they can be of any place visited that was interesting and/or enjoyed. Some of the places I've visited are certainly not hidden although they are definitely gems in their own right and my fondness for historical buildings, palaces and castles alike, never wavers, and so I will root through some photos and make a few postings in "The Lounge" forum.

Anyone else is more than welcome to share some of the places they have enjoyed visiting over the years.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Days Out: Lyme Hall and Gardens

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 am

Just recently went to Lyme Hall and Gardens near Disley in Cheshire (the place where Pride and Prejudice was filled - the one with Colin Firth) for the first time. It was incredibly busy, having to park in an overflow field to cope with the volume of cars, but apart from that and the slightly higher volume of people around, the day was both interesting and enjoyable. There was also some sort of mini fair on (hence the extra volume of people), which had a brass band playing music along with food (the venison stew was very tasty) and other various stalls.

The house has a fabulous history passed to the Leghs of Lyme in 1388 by marriage and remained in the family until 1946 when it was bequeathed to the National Trust. Rather than me blabber about it here just have a quick look at the the wikipedia article here.
DSC_2249.JPG
The north front entrance

DSC_2352.JPG
Courtyard showing the main entrance

DSC_2283.JPG
The west face and one of the stunning gardens

DSC_2285.JPG
The sundial

DSC_2292.JPG
The north front entrance again

DSC_2288.JPG
The west face from the gardens

More photos to follow.....
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Days Out: Lyme Hall and Gardens

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:38 am

Also check the National Trust's page here to see current attractions etc.

DSC_2289.JPG
Rooms under the gardens

DSC_2299.JPG
More of the gardens

DSC_2300.JPG
The orangery, gardens and west face

DSC_2313.JPG
The imposing south front entrance

DSC_2335.JPG
The south front entrance in all it's glory

DSC_2341.JPG
The romanticised view with the Mr Darcy lake

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Days Out: Places you've enjoyed over the years

Postby spike » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Most of mine would look like this:-
CUseless.jpg
CUseless.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 12055 times

:razz:

Though We did have a great weekend other wise and I did visit a 5th Border Regiment grave in Old Weston at St Swithuns Church
BodgerOWSS.JPG

OWSS_1.JPG

OWSS_3.JPG
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:16 am

Spike, do you systematically pick out day trips, short breaks and other holiday destinations with a Border Regiment burial nearby? Then very sneakily drop it into conversation and say "oh, by the way honey there is a Border Regiment man grave/memorial near here, while we are here we might as well take a quick look" or words to that effect. If yes, then very shrewd indeed ;-)

Nice photos by the way.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Spike, do you systematically pick out day trips, short breaks and other holiday destinations with a Border Regiment burial nearby? Then very sneakily drop it into conversation and say "oh, by the way honey there is a Border Regiment man grave/memorial near here, while we are here we might as well take a quick look" or words to that effect.

Yes........
Usually with the phrase "Its not too far out of the way, about half an hour "(2 hours :eeek: )
But if I called my wife honey, she'd probably slap me :|o
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby plbramham » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:27 pm

Hmm... I Did that in Sicily - a few hundred mile detour to view the graves of those WW2 airborne Border Soldiers
See viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2709&p=7372&hilit=sicily#p7372
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:45 pm

For the family and I it has to be Muncaster Castle, we just love visiting the place it is so relaxing especially if I have had a crap week at work.

Walking down the terrace on a sunny day is wonderful and the views are to die for.

DSC_0186.JPG
Attachments
DSC_0143.JPG
DSC_0161.JPG
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:11 am

Nice photos Mike. There's that special something about historic buildings in Britain that I really enjoy: the often bloody history attached to them, the architecture and the scenery. Sometimes I wish I could experience them without crowds of people, quirky little gift shops and cafes etc. that many, if not all, have to provide these days to supplement the running costs.

Muncaster Castle is certainly in a beautiful spot so I can understand why you like taking frequent walks there (and take a few snaps as well) ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to The 'Lounge'