Westmorland Gazette July 22 1916

Westmorland Gazette July 22 1916

Postby petertheelder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:03 pm

I have just been given two original pages of this paper, pages 3 and 4, listing 38 casualties from Kendal and 30 or so from other Westmorland
villages, with photographs of 21 men of various regiments including Border 1st, 2nd, 7th, 8th and 11th Battalions. The majority of these casualties are from the first weeks of the Somme battle.I'll try to get these pages copied into digital files and post them to the forum when accomplished. In the meantime, I'd be glad to answer any queries by PM.I was also given an original (all 8 pages) of the Westmorland Mercury & Times dated September 11, 1914 which has many listings of local men who have joined up together with photographs of 16 local footballers and a group of 41 men (all identified).
In memory of 15122 Sgt. Walter Dixon of Kendal, Westmorland, 8th Battalion The Border Regiment. He was last reported "fighting bravely in the German trenches" on the morning of July 3, 1916 as the battalion attacked the Liepzig Salient, east of Authuille on the Somme.
petertheelder
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Westmorland Gazette July 22 1916

Postby spike » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm

PeterI'll be interested to see these and see if any 11th Border men are there that I haven't got. (or 8th Border, but that's another story)......Spike
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby holmes58 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi Peter,My great uncle William Holmes was in 11th Battalion C Company of the Border Regiment during World War 1. He enlisted Kendal 19 October 1914 and was wounded at the battle of the Somme and his name apparently appeared in The Times wounded list dated 20 July 1916. His medal card indicates that he was demobbed April 1919. I am doing my family tree and have no other details on this relative, having read your post i was curious to see if you had anything relating to William Holmes.Private William Holmes 15301 11th Battalion C Company.Many thanks, any information would be greatly appreciated.Brian
holmes58
Private
Private

Postby petertheelder » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi Spike & Brian; I am going to make a spreadsheet of the various names and their battalions and post it when done. Sorry, Brian - No mention of Private William Holmes in either paper; there is listing of an Arthur Henry Holmes as joining up in the September 11, 1914 paper. Any relation?Regards, Pete
In memory of 15122 Sgt. Walter Dixon of Kendal, Westmorland, 8th Battalion The Border Regiment. He was last reported "fighting bravely in the German trenches" on the morning of July 3, 1916 as the battalion attacked the Liepzig Salient, east of Authuille on the Somme.
petertheelder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Peter,I'd be very interested to see these. If you'd like any help transcribing I'd be happy to do some for you as I am having a break from the Wiki website for a while. It would be great to get these on the forum and seeing this post has reminded me that I should get my act together and add, as I was going to a while back, a whole bunch of other articles/casualties etc. from PeterSloan, who has done amazing research into D Coy of the Lonsdales. My fleeting visit to Carlisle a couple of days ago (28/4/10) meant I didn't have time to do any research....there is just never enough time!Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Westmorland Gazette