The Loss of the Royal Edward - 59 Border Men Missing

This is the place to post articles from various other newspapers that does not fit into any other category. These may include articles from other countries such as the United States and Australia.

The Loss of the Royal Edward - 59 Border Men Missing

Postby kerchi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:51 pm

The Argus, Melbourne Vic., Monday 6th September, 1915.

LOSS OF THE ROYAL EDWARD

752 Soldiers Missing.

The following official list of the soldiers who were missing after the transport Royal
Edward was sunk by a German submarine in the AEgean Sea last month, and who are believed to have been drowned, has been issued:
(Regiment followed by number missing)
1st Lancashire Fusiliers - 27
2nd S. Wales Borderers - 56
1st Scottish Borderers - 58
1st Border Regiment - 59
2nd Hampshires - 111
1st Essex - 176
Army Service Corps - 123
Army Medical Corps - 142
Total 752
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: The Loss of the Royal Edward

Postby JohnFearn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Another interesting snippet Chris. A little more information:-The Royal Edward sailed from Avonmouth on Jully 28th 1915, with troops on board bound for Gallipoli.She called at Alexandria, sailing from there on August 12th, with a crew of 220 and transporting 31 officers and 1335 men.She was sunk the following day by a single torpedo fired from UB14.
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby kerchi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 pm

This is a tiny segment of what I have on my wiki, the history of the 1st Battalion I have been working on:
Meantime British submarines in the Sea of Marmora continued to harass the Turks, sinking transports and making it difficult to convey supplies to the peninsula. In the Ægean a German submarine scored the first real success against the British transport service, the Royal Edward, a famous Canadian liner, being sunk with the loss of about one thousand lives. Up to the 26th October, British submarines in the Sea of Marmora had succeeded in sinking or damaging two battleships, five gunboats, one torpedo boat, eight transports, and 197 supply ships of all kinds.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby JohnFearn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:00 pm

The loss of the Royal Edward gives us an interesting example of government news management. The casualty figures Chris quotes are from an Australian newsaper. However, the offical UK casualty figure was published as 132.This is clearly stated in an Admiralty document dated 1st January 1918 British Vessels Captured or Destroyed by the Enemy (Including Statistics of Allied and Neutral Vessels lost through Enemy Causes.) Volume I. From the Outbreak of War to 31st July 1917.
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Miscellaneous Newspapers